Dubai is one of the most attractive destinations for beauty and personal care businesses. According to a report by Euromonitor International, consumers in the UAE spent USD 2.1 billion on beauty and personal care products in 2020, and this figure is expected to grow by 4.8% annually until 2025. Moreover, Dubai has a young and diverse population, with more than 200 nationalities living in the city, creating a high demand for various types of beauty services. And Dubai Is One of the best place to start a business in UAE
If you are looking for a profitable and rewarding business opportunity, setting up a beauty salon in Dubai could be a great option. However, before you start your salon business, you need to follow some important steps and comply with some rules and regulations. In this article, we will guide you through the process of setting up a beauty salon in Dubai and provide you with some useful tips and advice.
Choosing a Location
One of the first decisions you need to make when setting up a beauty salon in Dubai is where to locate your business. You have two main options: setting up on the mainland or in one of the many free zones in Dubai.
The mainland is the area that falls under the jurisdiction of the Dubai government and the Department of Economic Development (DED). The advantage of setting up on the mainland is that you can access a larger and more diverse customer base, as you can operate anywhere in Dubai without any restrictions. However, the downside is that you need to have a local partner or sponsor who owns 51% of your business and pay higher fees and taxes.
The free zones are special economic zones that offer various incentives and benefits for foreign investors. The advantage of setting up in a free zone is that you can have 100% ownership of your business, enjoy tax exemptions, and have more flexibility in choosing your business activities. However, the downside is that you can only operate within the boundaries of your free zone or outside the UAE, unless you obtain a special permit.
Some of the popular areas for beauty salons on the mainland are Downtown Dubai, Jumeirah, Al Barsha, Al Quoz, etc. Some of the popular free zones for beauty salons are Dubai Healthcare City, Dubai Media City, Dubai Internet City, etc.
When choosing a location for your salon, you need to consider several factors, such as:
- Your target market: Who are your ideal customers and what are their preferences and needs? You need to choose a location that is convenient and appealing for them.
- Your competition: Who are your direct and indirect competitors and what are their strengths and weaknesses? You need to choose a location that gives you a competitive edge and allows you to differentiate yourself.
- Your rent: How much can you afford to pay for your salon space and what are the terms and conditions of your lease agreement? You need to choose a location that fits your budget and offers you favorable terms.
- Your size: How big do you want your salon to be and how many staff and equipment do you need? You need to choose a location that can accommodate your salon size and layout.
- Your visibility: How easy is it for potential customers to find and access your salon? You need to choose a location that has high foot traffic, good signage, and ample parking.
Obtaining a License
Another important step in setting up a beauty salon in Dubai is obtaining a license from the relevant authorities. A license is a legal document that grants you permission to operate your business in Dubai. Without a license, you cannot run your salon legally.
The type of license you need depends on the type of services you want to offer in your salon. There are three main types of licenses available for beauty salons in Dubai:
- Professional license: This license allows you to provide services such as hairdressing, makeup, manicure, pedicure, etc.
- Commercial license: This license allows you to sell products related to your services such as cosmetics, hair products, nail products, etc.
- Trade license: This license allows you to do both professional and commercial activities under one license
The authority that issues licenses for beauty salons on the mainland is the Department of Economic Development (DED). The authority that issues licenses for beauty salons in free zones is the respective free zone authority. The requirements and procedures for obtaining a license may vary depending on the location and type of license, but generally, they involve the following steps:
- Submit copies of your passport and visa, as well as those of your business partners, if any
- Choose a name for your salon and get approval from the DED or the free zone authority
- Sign a memorandum of association (MoA) with your local partner or sponsor, if you are setting up on the mainland, or with your business partners, if you are setting up in a free zone
- Rent a salon space and obtain a tenancy contract and an Ejari number.
- Submit all the required documents and fees to the DED or the free zone authority and get your license.
The fees and duration involved in getting a license may vary depending on the location and type of license, but generally, they range from AED 10,000 to AED 12,000 and take about 2 to 3 weeks.
Complying with Regulations
The final step in setting up a beauty salon in Dubai is complying with the regulations and standards that govern the beauty industry. These regulations are designed to ensure the quality and safety of the services and products you provide to your customers. Failing to comply with these regulations can result in fines, penalties, or even closure of your salon.
The main regulations and standards that beauty salons in Dubai have to follow are:
- Health and safety: You have to ensure that your salon is clean, hygienic, and sanitary at all times. You have to use sterilized tools and equipment, dispose of waste properly, and prevent any infections or injuries. You also have to provide adequate ventilation, lighting, and fire safety measures in your salon.
- Hygiene: You have to ensure that you and your staff are well-groomed, neat, and professional. You have to wear appropriate uniforms, gloves, masks, and hairnets when providing services. You also have to wash your hands frequently and avoid any contact with blood or bodily fluids.
- Sanitation: You have to ensure that your products are safe, effective, and suitable for your customers. You have to store them properly, label them clearly, and check their expiry dates. You also have to avoid using any banned or harmful substances or ingredients in your products.
- Equipment: You have to ensure that your equipment is modern, functional, and certified. You have to use only approved equipment for specific services such as hair dryers, curling irons, scissors, etc. You also have to maintain and repair your equipment regularly and report any malfunctions or damages.
The main authorities that regulate beauty salons in Dubai are:
- Dubai Municipality (DM): This is the authority that oversees the general health and safety of beauty salons in Dubai. It issues guidelines and inspections for salons to follow.
- Planning Section of DM: This is the authority that approves the design and layout of beauty salons in Dubai. It ensures that salons comply with the space and equipment requirements.
- Health and Safety Division of DM: This is the authority that monitors the hygiene and sanitation of beauty salons in Dubai. It conducts random checks and tests on salons to ensure that they meet the quality standards.
Starting a beauty salon in Dubai can be a rewarding and profitable venture if you follow the rules and regulations set by the authorities. You need to obtain a professional or civil license from the Department of Economic Development (DED) and appoint a local service agent. You also need to get approvals from the Dubai Municipality (DM) for the health and safety standards of your salon. Additionally, you need to submit various documents and certificates such as passport and visa copies, trade name certificate, tenancy contract, Ejari number, memorandum of association, and inspection report.
By following these steps, you can ensure that your beauty salon meets the requirements of the UAE market and attracts customers who value quality and professionalism. You can also benefit from the booming demand for beauty services in Dubai, which is one of the most cosmopolitan and glamorous cities in the world.
If you are ready to pursue your dream of starting a beauty salon in Dubai, don’t hesitate to contact us for more information and assistance. We are a team of experts who can help you with every aspect of your business setup, from registration to marketing. We can also provide you with the best location, equipment, and staff for your salon. Let us help you turn your passion into a successful business!