When you have braces, you might be curious to how quickly you can start seeing results. Having them on for months might seem like change is happening at a rate that isn’t fast enough. So what is the time period for braces to start showing results?
Here are a few factors which can affect the pace at which your braces show results:
· Age of the person wearing braces – For many patients, they can see change over 4 – 6 weeks. When it comes to age, younger patients have softer bones and this allows their bones to move much quickly in comparison to adults who normally have much denser bone structure. The metabolic rate matters too. Younger people have a high metabolic rate while adults have a slower metabolic rate. This affects the way teeth grow and the changes in the dental structure so in younger people, they are more likely to see changes relatively quickly. It is a good idea to have children wear braces from 10 – 12 years of age, once their primary teeth start to feel lose.
· Crowding of teeth – The more crowding there is, the more time it takes to straighten and align them. Also, crowded teeth need more time and space and take more friction to free themselves and take their own space.
· Clenching – This can delay tooth movement since the forces that hold the teeth in place need to be shifted and adjusted. So depending on how tight the level of clenching or bruxism is, the longer it might take so see results.
· Medication – Certain medication can slow tooth movement. If you are taking any medication, share this with your dentist so that he can know how to treat your condition and help maintain teeth growth.
· Time – Adjusting teeth is done incrementally using varied forces. This has to be done in a timely manner because if it’s done too slowly, it can lead to shortening of the roots and if it’s done too quickly, then it will lead to unnecessary discomfort and the supporting bone won’t have proper support.
On average it takes between 18 – 24 months to see the full effect of your braces and to have great and lasting results. Let your orthodontist work his course and you will be pleased with the results if you maintain your appointments and eat well, drink plenty of water and avoid sugary beverages.